Sunday, August 2, 2009

ah, Ha ha ... ha ... so ...

I'm finishing up my book list for one of my classes this fall, and I just noticed that all of the authors are women, and at least three of the books are concerned with seeking home. Clearly there is a theme, but it's an unintentional theme. My plan going into this book list was to seek diversity. Hence the title of this post.

Before I carve these authors and titles in stone, I ask you, my faithful readers, to provide me with one title of a literary nonfiction book with a male author or regarding some topic other than home or place ... or preferably both. Just one from each of you and I will be delighted.

Many thanks to all. And if you don't give me a suggestion, I'm blocking you from my blog for the rest of time. Just kidding. I'll probably just add another woman writer's book about home to the list and risk being accused of having a one-track mind.

4 comments:

  1. How about Michael Pollan's A Place of My Own? He published it in 1997 as a musing or meditation on a 2 1/2 year journey to build his own studio space. Of course now he's known as the great food guru but he was always about gardening, sustainability and places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! I'm already 2 chapters in and can tell this book is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I can't think of specific books exactly, but some writers come to mind (maybe because they've written so darn many books between them). Some of them do write about place and home, but there are other works that don't: Tracy Kidder, Richard Selzer (he's really interesting because he was trained as a surgeon), John McPhee, Scott Russell Sanders, Pico Iyer, Phillip Lopate.

    Is it the reading list for my class? That would not at all surprise me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly enough, it's not the reading list for your class, but your titles (both in your comment here and in your booklist for Ecofem) were all helpful. I already ordered half of my Ecofem books and only hope I can give them the time they deserve this fall!

    ReplyDelete